Friday, May 14, 2010

9 Month Update

I am going to try to get this posted before I forget to do it.  Mitchell turned 9 months on the 11th.  We had our 9 month check up a little early but everything looked great.  He weighed exactly 20 pounds (45th percentile) and was 29.5 inches long (85th percentile).  He still strikes me as such a big kid, but I guess there are plenty of 'em out there bigger since he's only in the 45th for weight.  Considering that we started out somewhere in the 90's, he definitely seems to have fallen more in line with the average!  I think it must be his chunky little thighs that throw me off, haha!  ---->


He did absolutely fine when they pricked his finger and the hemocrit level came back just fine.  The pediatrician said that she saw a tiny bit of stuff collecting in his ears so he's on antibiotics AGAIN, trying to stave off ear infection #3, as well as address a lingering cough and runny nose.  We're all tired of the antibiotics, but John and I have gotten pretty good at sliding in the dose in between bites of food at meal time. 


Speaking of food, he still eats up a storm - the doctor told me it was time to start him on meats, specifically red meat for the iron.  I hadn't started him on it yet, but she said it was time now because his iron needs will start to outstrip what is in breastmilk or formula.  So far he's tried beef and chicken and has eaten them pretty easily since the first time he tried them.  I was a little bit worried about it but he hasn't flinched.  This child does not turn down many things.  They tell me at school that some days he cannot pack it in fast enough, and he's even been known to willingly accept the leftover fruit from other children's lunches that they don't eat.  They feed them such small portions that I don't worry about it. 

He primarily eats table food now (not pureed baby food), although sometimes when he is tired he still likes to be fed.  Most of the time, though, I just spread a bunch of stuff out on his placemat and let him go to town.  He is pretty good about eating most vegetables that I've given him (can't think of any he's flat out refused) and he LOVES fruit, especially melon.  I have done some small cuts of pasta, cooked really well, black beans, and he loves pieces of muffin or pancakes for breakfast.  I just mix a lot of fruit puree into the batter so he's getting some extra nutrients in there.  Things I haven't tried yet but plan on soon - steamed edamame, corn, fresh bell peppers, and I may do an egg yolk tomorrow for breakfast to see how that goes. 


Here he is gnawing on a wagon wheel early one morning before school - giving him something like this makes it easier for me to get his medicine in him, while he's on it, and also allows me to get all my last minute things ready without him wanting me to hold him.


He hasn't really showed a lot of separation anxiety, but there are some times that no one other than Momma will do (which secretly thrills me).  He is still saying a lot of 'd' sounds but is starting to make lots of other noises.  He has all sorts of shrieks and squeals, which are cute, most of the time, but his newest noise is very much a whine and both John and I agree that we're not that fond of that one.  :)  I have some good videos of him but cannot figure out how to upload them (I had the new Blogger format and that had a video upload icon, but I switched back to the older format because picture uploads are easier).

He's just on the cusp of walking...he will take a few tentative steps to you independently (not holding onto anything) but will then just plop back down on his bottom and crawl to where he wants to go.  I think at this point it is just more of a speed/convenience factor - he'd rather get there quickly and crawling is the fastest way.  We're really trying to encourage him to take steps, and he's getting more and more sure of himself.  I'd say within a couple more weeks he'll really be bi-pedal!   I need to investigate a good walking toy for him this weekend so he can really practice.

Let's see, what else - he's got about 9 teeth now and is drooling again so maybe some of the ones towards the back are starting to come in?  He doens't really like for me to be feeling aroudn in his mouth, but when I'm bathing him I always get in there with a thin washcloth and try to feel around while cleaning his gums.  He still uses a paci to go to sleep, but I'm trying to keep him from having it during the day.  I want to encourage more talking anyway, plus I just think it's going to be easier to wean him off it if we get him used to not having it 'on demand'.  I will probably let him keep it at nap and bedtime for a while longer. 

This picture of him is a signature pose, which I like to refer to as Godzilla.  He will zero into something he wants, rise up on this one knee crouch, raise his arms, and then will sort of throw himself forward onto all fours and crawl over to get whatever it is.  It is probably funnier to me than it sounds to you...there is usually a loud exhaling noise associated with it too.  I will give the child credit for this - he goes after whatever he wants with gusto!  It continues to be a pleasure to watch him learn and explore!




No comments:

Post a Comment