Friday, May 21, 2010

Flex Your Mussels

No, no, you read that right.  This is one of those all-too-rare food-related posts that I acted like I was going to have on the blog all the time, but in actuality never rarely do!

John and I love mussels.  We ate them a ton while we were on our honeymoon in Spain - we were on the northeastern coast so all the seafood was spectacular, but we gravitated toward the mussels on numerous occasions.  They were plentiful, cheap and delicious!  When we got back, I resolved to start cooking them, and guess what, I discovered that they are very low maintenance and usually quite afforable. 

Seriously, ya'll, if you like shellfish you need to put them in your rotation (especially since who knows what our Gulf seafood outlook is).  They are just fancy enough to seem special, but they are hardly any work other than chopping up some garlic, onions and/or herbs.

I always buy mussels from Prince Edward Island, but really that's because that's what Greenlife always stocks!  I think the bags they sell are 2 pounds, which is just enough for 2 people (see serving suggestions below). 

There are a few things to consider.  Mussels are meant to be left live until you cook them, so please don't let anyone wrap your mussels up in some non-breathable (plastic) bag; otherwise they'll die and then you just have to throw them away.  They usually come in a mesh bag and you should keep them chilled until you are ready to work with them.  Then, rinse them under cool water to wash away any grit that is on the shells and also trim any fiberous strands (that link up there to P.E.I. explains all of this way better than me, so go check it out if you are interested). 

At this point, you should discard any mussels that are open, as these are no good. 

Remember this later:
pre-cooking, open = bad;
afterwards, closed = bad 

Don't get it mixed up, or you'll be discarding most, if not all your mussels!

One thing I love about them is how they infuse whatever liquid you cooke them in with their briny flavor.  They work well with most any liquid - I have used champagne, white wine, vegetable stock, a tomato-based sauce...really anything goes!  I rarely use a recipe, although Deb has a good strategy (and please, go full bore on this and make the baked pomme frites too). 

My method is usually saute garlic and/or shallots in some olive oil until soft in a large heavy pot with a lid.  Add clean, rinsed mussels and a cup or two of your preferred liquid.  Cover the pot with the lid and let the mussels steam for about 6-8 minutes, depending on the quantity.  Lest you think I'm too fancy, the last time I made them I also added some finely diced Conecuh sausage during the aromatic saute for an additionally smoky flavor.  I must say, they were divine.



Your mussels are done when their shells have opened (remember, at this point, you need to discard any that did not open) and the meat pulls away from shell easily.  Ladle out your mussels into a shallow dish and make sure to get some of the good cooking liquid too.  Sprinkle liberally with freshly chopped parsley or basil and serve!  Dip your pomme frites or any crusty bread into this broth.  Served alone or with a simply dressed green salad, this makes a quick, elegant supper. 

So go flex your mussels, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment