Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-changes

So this is mostly more for me, probably stuff that should have gone on his 12 month status update post, but also a few things I wanted to get down somewhere so I can remember them later.  I feel like sometime that this blog is my psuedo-baby book (which is handy, since I don't have one {don't be horrified I just have this big stack of stuff I'm keeping to put in one eventually, but I haven't found one I like yet, so if y'all know of any that are cute, let me know}).

His 12 month pediatrician visit went pretty smoothly.  Since we hadn't been for a check up since 9 months (although she has seen him once in between there, for something, cannot remember what), she asked me if he was pulling up on things yet and I laughed out loud before I told her that he was walking by 10 months.  He showed off for her a bit and she was impressed.  He weighed 24 lbs, 4 oz (75th) and was 31 1/4 inches long (90th).  His head was also in the 90th percentile.  She said we could turn him around and while I know it is recommended to leave them rear-facing as long as possible, we did go ahead and turn him last weekend so that he would have more leg room.  His poor legs were jammed up against the back of the seat in his old seat, and I just know he wasn't very comfortable anymore.  He seems to love the new-found independence of being forward-facing.  I keep meaning to take the flip video with me some morning so I can get some footage of him (at a red light, of course).  He likes to point, gesture and vocalize about whatever it is he has spotted on our way to and from school. 

As my mom said to me this weekend, as soon as he figures out the sounds that he needs to put together, this boy is going to be talking.  He babbles all day long and is trying out all sorts of new sounds.  He can say what I know means "outside", since I always talk to him about Dixie having to go outside to go to the bathroom, and if I ask him if he wants to go take Dixie outside he will walk over to the back door and hold his arms up for me to pick him up.   He also knows what "upstairs" means and will try to say it, but it comes out like "uh-says".  He will point upstairs or lift his head up like he's trying to see who is up there.  Hilarious.  He stayed with my parents last week for a couple of nights and came back saying all kinds of new sounds.  Nothing that resembles any new words, just new sound combinations that I haven't heard him say.

He is also doing the open mouth kiss these days, which about makes me swoon every time he does it.  He and Dixie seem to be reaching an equilibrium which is also nice to see, although lately we've had to deal with multiple screaming fits because Mitchell will offer Dixie whatever it is he is eating, and she, not being a very well-trained dog (our fault), will take it.  That used to amuse him but now it makes him mad.  This kid is serious about his eating, y'all!  We're working on that.  I have explained to Mitchell that if he offers something to the dog, she is going to eat it, but clearly that concept hasn't really translated yet!

Sorry, no pics on this post.  Just boring, minute details (to all of you). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment