Tuesday, December 15, 2009

It Hit the Spot

My mom's nickname has been Spot ever since college; my dad gave her that nickname because of all of her freckles.  It's what all of their friends have always called her, so when it came time for her to pick a grandmother name when Erin was pregnant with WRS, she just decided that she'd stick with Spot.  It is relatively easy for a child to say, and it sure does sound cute when Reid calls her 'Pot'. 

She is kind of like the pied piper...she's always able to come up with a fun distraction or activity for the kiddos just when they need it most. 



And she takes great delight in her grandkiddies.



Well, Spot came up and stayed with me last week while John was out of town, and what a God-send she was to me.  She arrived on perhaps my worst day ever with Mitchell; he'd be awake half of the night, and literally nothing I could do would make him happy.  He finally sacked out that afternoon before she got there, so he was a bit more pleasant by the time she got here, but I was glad to have a back up anyway.  While she was here, she took poor, neglected Dixie for several great walks, cleaned areas of the house I haven't touched in months, cooked, ironed, grocery shopped, and amused Mitchell while I did things I needed to do.  I swear she gets more done in an hour then most people (me) accomplish all week day.  It was so wonderful to come home and hear her tick off all the things she'd done around the house since I'd last seen her.  I wanted to cry and hug her neck in gratitude every day.

We call her the baby whisperer in jest, but it's really true.  She really does have the touch.  Here is a picture of her with Mitchell, who is about 2 days old, sucking his thumb.  She was always able to help him get it long before I ever figured out how to do it (without making him mad).




 I have always been in awe of her, but as I get older, I appreciate what she does and how she does it so much more than ever before.  Her own mother died when she was about the age I am now, when Erin and I were almost 3 years old.  I truly cherish every moment of time that I get to spend with her, and that she gets to spend with Mitchell, as I know how much of our lives Dot Dot missed out on.  She has the heart of a true servant and I have been blessed beyond compare to have her as a mother.

Here's a picture from her most recent visit, with the boy.  Mitchell says 'heeeyyyyyy'.


1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post, made me cry. And so true, I have asked Rainer MANY times if your mom is in fact a super hero!? I will join the "in awe" of her club any day. I cannot count how many times she has swooped in to save me when I run out of time to make dinner, or need cookies, ha or have a teething child on my hands and am pulling my hair out. Wow, we are blessed!

    ReplyDelete