Friday, May 7, 2010

My Favorite Things: Homemaker Edition

Here's the first edition of My Favorite Things!  My rule for these lists is that the items are tested and approved (by me) to be included.  These are all tested, used and adored in my household.

1.  Double Oven Mitt



I received my double oven mitt as a gift from a dear friend who spent some time after college in England.  She brought me one of these fabulous contraptions from the famed Cath Kidston and I have used the heck out of it.  In fact, it is basically worn out but I just keep using it becuase I love it so.  It has pockets for each hand it is perfect when you are pulling a heavy or large item from the oven.

I think one of the things I love the most about this is the print.  Mine is a cheery modern floral print (not the one shown), but all of Cath's prints are awesome.  Check out her site!

http://www.cathkidston.co.uk/

Here are some cute ones from Etsy if you want to order from the U S of A.  I think I am going to go this route on my next one to avoid the trans-Atlantic shipping costs! 

2.  French Press

There is nothing like a steaming cup of coffee made from a french press; maybe you're skeptical but I firmly believe it's true.  Mine is just a regular old stainless baby that my father-in-law got me for Christmas a couple of years ago (from Starbucks, I think) but I really love the stylishness of the models that Bodum makes (especially thier cute little travel press/mug combo models).  There is something so fun about putting in the grounds, pouring in your water and then waiting while it all steeps together to form a glorious caffienated masterpiece.  If you haven't had coffee this way, I highly recommend that you try it!

3.  Ceramic "Take Out" Coffee Cup

How cute is this coffee cup?  It looks like a takeout cup, complete with heat-proof sleeve, but the cup is ceramic and the lid and holder are silicone.  What an easy way to be green, stylish, and to enjoy your french-pressed coffee! :)  The most well known brand is called "I Am Not a Paper Cup", but I've seen a lot of them around lately.

The one I have is super cute with multi-colored stripes and a bright orange lid and sleeve.  The website on the bottom of the cup goes to Decor Craft, Inc.  but they look like they are only wholesalers.  There are a lot of options out there.  Take a look around for one that you like!


4.  Canister Vacuum
This isn't a glamorous item on the list, but it sure is useful.  I have an old Sharp canister vac that was gifted to me by my mother (I tried to find a link and was informed that Sharp stopped manufacturing vacuums in 2004).  I think she originally got it from one of her friends as a Christmas gift (this friend has lots of disposable income and has always given my mother interesting and useful gifts) but when I moved to Chattanooga in 2001 she gave it to me.  And we've been trucking along ever since.  I do have an upright as well (mine is a Bissel, but I agonized over whether to spend the money on a Dyson instead*) which is fine, but I confess that I end up using my canister more than my upright for everything but full room carpet jobs.  I think when the Bissell wears out I will get a new canister that has the big attachment that I could do everything with the one machine.  I have to order the bags for the Sharp online but I just do it in bulk so I'm never out when I need one.  The canister is just so easy to cart around (especially nice when you are in a house with more than one level) and I love how long the hose is on it. 
*-probably should have just gone ahead, but after having the Bissel one I don't think I'll ever go bagless again - yuck

5. Shopping Basket & Tote
(I had a hard time deciding where to put this item, but ultimately I settled on this list.  I would argue that part of the "homemaker" role is to do the shopping.)

I cannot say enough about this awesome Reisenthel Bottleshopper (I have also seen it called a Modern Grocery Tote) bag.  I was first given a couple of the lightweight reusable Reisenthel bags by John's aunt, who lives in Spain for part of the year and reusable bags have been en vogue in Europe for far longer than they have here.  When one of the ones she'd given me was wearing out, I went online to try and find some others (these are a very lightweight fabric and will stuff down into a tiny carrying pouch, similar to this style.  I succeeded in finding what I was looking for, but ended up buying one of the Bottlebags too, and I just love it.  I have used it for a beach bag, to carry stuff to a cookout, and of course, as a grocery shopping bag.  It holds a ton, has nice long comfy straps, a zip-top, and is very sturdy.  I later ended up buying one for a friend and both my sister and sister-in-law as gifts. 
The color that I have is this floral shown on the market tote (confession: I have one of these too, but mine is a cheap Marshall's knockoff).  The market tote is also a fabulous find.  I think both of these are great hostess, birthday or even baby gifts.  Especially if you monogram it!

I got mine from Reusable Bags, but if you live in Birmingham I'm told that Top Stitchin' in Homewood has them (and can monogram it for you too)!  A lot of people carry Reisenthel stuff though, so be on the lookout.  I will venture to say that you won't be disappointed.



Thanks for checking out my first edition of My Favorite Things!  I am working on some other lists that I think are super fun.  I'm going to aim for one a week until I get them all published, but we shall see.  I've proved before that setting a self-imposed deadline is just asking to not meet it, so I won't do that again!

1 comment:

  1. Love the new idea!! I might have to follow suit! Or I'll just oogle at all your fun stuff! :)

    Is oogle a word?? Prob not. :)

    ReplyDelete